Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday Morning Star Count - Week 4

Not as much progress as I would have liked this week, but I was able to complete another project, so that makes it a great week!  See my post on Sunday for my completed project, but now back to this week's star count.

I only finished 2 more flowers.

I did work on my layout a little and figured I still need to complete at least 18 more sections to have a decent size quilt.   The section below is about 40" x 40"; of course it would need to be evened out, but that is a rough estimate.  I think I at least want to make it twin size and I do need more variety in the colors so I am working on some orange flowers.


One of the other distractions this week was looking at everyone's wonderful projects and their progress.  I have to tell you that it is so inspiring that I was sidetracked just planning future projects :) I don't know if I will be able to hold back from starting another project.  Do you find yourself doing the same thing?  Being inspired by others and starting new projects before you finish one?

I am linking up with Jessica at Life Under Quilts!  Stop by and check out the awesome projects that everyone is working on!

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Ahoy Matey!


I started this quilt about this time last year and finally have it finished.  I made it for our grandson to use in our camper up in Maine.  He is 5 years old and totally in love with pirates....then again, what little boy doesn't like playing pirates?

This is our grandson, Carter, with his sister Gracie.  I can't wait for him to see his new pirate quilt!


I used Riley Blake's Pirate Matey fabric along with odds and ends of fabrics from my stash to get the quilt the size I needed for the full size bunk in the camper.  The overall patter was the 'Disappearing Nine Patch" that I learned from one of the Craftsy Classes that Jenny Doan teaches in Quilting Quickly I.


The back is a plain grey, but has patches of left over blocks and the binding is made from scraps left over from the project. 


 The pillow sham is pieced from left overs and a few blocks that I tried out from the Craftsy 2013 Block of the Month class.  The front of the sham is shown below.


The back of the sham is shown below:

Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Morning Star Count - Week 3

I have no idea where the week went!  I did not get everything I wanted to planned out, but did manage to complete five more flowers.  I am planning on laying out what I have completed so far and figuring out how big I want to make my quilt.  I hope to have a design for next week so I know how many more I need to complete.  :) Thanks for stopping by and feeling thankful for the encouragement from everyone participating in MMSC.  I am linking up with Jessica at Life Under Quilts and if you stop by and check out everyone's progress you won't be disappointed!


Monday, January 13, 2014

Monday Morning Star Count

OK...so it is Monday night, not morning :).  I actually made a lot of progress this week, but not without a few challenges.

Sooo....this is what happened when I turned my back on my puppy (just for one minute).  And I thought I only had to worry about the grandkids :).  He left quite a few bite marks and a lot of saliva....not sure I can salvage this!


Then, on Friday night I put the grandkids in bed and sat down to stitch. I stitched up a storm and about 11pm, I made this mistake.  Has anyone else ever done this?  For all the times I worried maybe hand-stitching wouldn't hold up, I take it all back - it took quite a bit of working to rip this out!  I am glad I only stitched one wrong!



So even with the setbacks, I finished adding the 3 background hexagons to 18 flowers.


I counted all of my basted hexies - I have 530, which is way more than I thought I had.

This week I am heading back to making hexagon flowers and cutting more background fabric so I can be ready to stitch the 3 background hexies on a new set.

Phew.....I have never gotten so much done in a week!





Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Monday Morning Star Count on Wednesday

I am linking up with Jessica at Life Under Quilts for the Monday Morning Star Count and hoping for inspiration to keep focused and make progress!  This is my very first English Paper Piecing project and I am in love with the method and the simplicity and relaxation that it brings.  I started this project this past summer.

I chose Bonnie & Camille's Marmalade line for the hexies.  I will be making a quilt, but have not figured out the finished size yet.  I will do a full tally for next week's post :) and that may help be figure out the size.

Right now I have completed basting about 300 - 1 1/2" hexies - this is just one box of them.  


Here are some of the hexagon flowers completed:

For placement, I used Jessica's concept from the diamonds tutorial, and add three hexies in the surrounding fabric.  This allows me the chance to play with placement.  I have only completed the main section that I will use to build off.   I have about 15 sections to add the 3 plain hexies to and then I will need to figure out what size I want to make the quilt.





Christmas Tree Skirt


I have been holding off on  posting as I was working on Christmas gifts and did not want to spoil the surprises!!

Here is a Christmas Tree Skirt that I completed for my sister and she absolutely loved it!  I used a Youtube tutorial by Missouri Star Quilt Company.  It was super quick and so cute!!